Integrated Pest Control
In the 70’s and 80’s –after the heyday of DDT– farmers, food workers & pest control professionals needed a better way to manage pests. Overuse of early pesticides led to insects developing resistance and unintended pollution.
Integrated Pest Management (IPM) was developed in response. Scientists and pest managers determined that the 5-step process would consider tolerance levels, environmental conditions, physical removal options, and biological controls before resorting to pesticides.
How Does IPM Work?
- Your Tolerance Level is where pest control begins. But when pests start damaging property or threatening your health, you might need to take action:
- Removing habitat and food sources of pests is the 2nd step, and is the most common way to get natural, no-kill pest control.
- Manually removing pests by hand, or with devices such as rat traps is the 3rd step.
- Biological pesticides are the 4th step, like the natural bacterium BT (bacillus thurengensis) that’s used to control mosquitos.
- Chemical pesticides are always reserved as a last resort if all other options fail or are unavailable.
We’re committed to protecting Portland’s pollinators, beneficial insects & wildlife. That’s why we hold true to IPM, and are backed by the exclusive Green Shield Certification.
You can feel confident that if treatment does become necessary with EPA-registered products, that we have eliminated or significantly reduced all hazard to pollinators, beneficial insects & wildlife compared to other extermination services.
How can we help you?
Friendliest in the Northwest.
We’re Oregon’s–and the PNW’s–only Green Shield Certified pest control company by the IPM Institute of North America. We care about your health & safety and sustainability. You can feel confident when choosing Pest & Pollinator that we’re protecting your family, pets, and planet better.
Get in touch today.